This class is based on rough collies, but will apply to most double coated breeds including Great Pyrenes, Australian Shepherds, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, etc.
We will cover the following topics –
- The proper tools to use and which ones to avoid, how to safely use your new grooming tools, how to mix the correct ratio of water with product, and how to maintain the coat in between baths.
- Tips to work with stubborn dogs who do not want bathed, feet touched, etc.
- Prep work before the bath – sanitary trim, shaving pads of feet, clipping and grinding nails, clean ears, brush teeth, and line brushing the coat.
- Bathing – techniques to help loosen up the undercoat, what products to use, and tips to make bathing easier for both you and your collie.
- Drying – how to properly blow out the coat with a force dryer. (If you are not careful you can cause “whip-knots” on a longer coat. A whip-knot is when a force dryer causes the hair to wrap around itself into a knot. Once the damage is done it can be nearly impossible to brush it out.)
- Tool Maintenance – how to remove the blade from clippers, cleaning and oiling your blades, installing a new band on your nail grinder.
- Class will be held on a live stream so you can groom along with us, or sit back and watch. Since we teach live, you will be able to ask questions throughout the entire groom process.
What to expect after you have purchased a class link (Please ensure that the email you provide is valid. We will be sending all of this information via email) –
- You will receive the link to join our class, it is very important that you do NOT lose this link. When it is time to join the class all you will need to do is click on the link to join.
- In addition, we will be sending you a PDF instructional guide with the highlights of everything we will cover in class. This guide will help to keep you on track while grooming after the class has finished. Trust me, I know it can seem like a lot to remember, but once you get the hang of it you will see how easy it is. Luckily, this guide will also have pictures to help!
- A document with tools and links of suggested products. For most tools, I list good/better/best options to accommodate all budgets.
Since we teach live, you will be able to ask questions throughout the entire groom process. I would recommend not purchasing tools beforehand.... after you see the tools and descriptions you may change your mind about which ones you'd like to purchase.
Approximate class run time 2.5-3.5hrs. Based on grooming a rough collie, but will apply to many other double coated breeds as well.
Class price is shown in US Dollars.
My class has not started yet. I am registered for June 17th
Class scheduled 4/15/23
This was very good. The only thing that kept it from a 5 is I could not groom my collie while she was teaching.
Excellent class to take, no matter how experienced you are with your dogs. It helped us with our Bonnie’s bathtime🙂
Kate's class was excellent! She shared her knowledge of grooming double coated dogs using the most cost effective tools and products for the job. She actually groomed a beautiful collie named Bentley while she taught us some tricks of the trade! The class watched her on Zoom as she walked us through the grooming process. We asked questions and Kate provided detailed answers. She also responded quickly to my emailed questions; both before and after the class. She's awesome! i recommend this class to anyone wanting to groom their own double coated dog! I followed her advice and groomed my Scotch Collie. He is happy & looking great!